WSP is currently seeking a Junior Planner or Planning Technician to join our Kelowna Planning, Landscape Architecture + Urban Design Studio (PLAUD). Reporting to the Director of PLAUD Western Canada, this position will provide you with the opportunity to participate in multi-disciplinary municipal and private sector projects in community and regional planning, landscape architecture and urban design. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting senior staff across all disciplines with various tasks including, but not limited to, research and development, applications of various regulatory approvals, proposals, graphics, mapping and modelling.
· Perform professional work related to a variety of planning, landscape architecture and urban design assignments;
· Planning policy and zoning interpretation/administration for municipal and land development clients;
· Assist in research and development of planning studies and development applications;
· Assist in the preparation of complex comprehensive plan amendments including official community plans, zoning bylaws, area structure plans, and neighbourhood plans;
· Act as a liaison between clients and approving authorities;
· Ability to effectively communicate with provincial government agencies, municipalities, private developers, special interest groups, organizations and institutions;
· Conduct research and prepare various technical reports on land use, social, and economic issues;
· Skills to speak to a diverse range of audiences from the general public to major community, business groups, and municipal Councils;
· Assist in the preparation of proposals and other business development activities; and
· Other duties as assigned.
A degree or diploma in Community Planning, Urban Planning, Urban Design and / or related field;
· 2+ years of progressively responsible community planning related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience, preferably in the private sector setting;
· Full membership, or eligibility, of the Canadian Institute of Planners or British Columbia Professional Planners Institute;
· Excellent graphic, written and oral communication skills;
· Proficiency in SketchUp and some familiarity with rendering software;
· Demonstrated public consultation and engagement experience;
· Project and business development experience will set you apart from your peer group;
· Excellent time-management skills.