Donohoe Design is seeking an experienced Horticulturist / Landscape Designer to collaborate on the development of our designs and play a key role in the installation of our softscapes. While many firms have designers that work on various elements of a project, we are seeking an individual that will focus on producing spectacular planting designs and installations that go beyond the ordinary. You will be contributing to a variety of residential landscape projects throughout the province, and working directly with our clients, sub-contractors, and our team of designers.
The selected candidate will be deeply passionate about horticulture, travel, and have an ecologically sound approach to planting design and installation practices. You have a very high standard for finish and the foresight and creative vision to “see” a garden years into the future on the day of installation. You will be confident to explore new trends, yet have the experience and understanding of the subtleties and restraint required to build an award-winning garden. It would be considered an asset if you have experience and desire to complete the installation yourself, or to lead a horticulture team during the construction of the softscape.
For more than a decade, Donohoe Design has been developing thoughtful, bespoke landscapes for single-family homes throughout British Columbia. Our focus is to develop architecturally strong, multi-sensory spaces that connect people to their family, friends, and nature. We create landscapes that make a difference to our designers and push the boundaries of everyone who experiences them. From our office in Gastown we offer a pleasant work environment with competitive wages and encouragement and support to advance within your career. You will play a key role in the entire process of development in our small but growing company.
Donohoe Design has many exciting upcoming projects in 2021. We are enthusiastic to find the candidate that wants to be part of our progressive, purpose-led team.
You will lead the design and oversee the installation of the softscapes for our custom residential projects. It would be an asset for you to physically work on and lead the install as well, though not required to apply.
Included but not limited to the following:
- Collaborate with our Landscape Architects, landscape designers and clients and lead the development of our softscape plans;
- Source and tag trees, shrubs and perennials for specific projects at nurseries throughout the Pacific Northwest;
- Complete the softscape installation alone or lead a team (depending on scale of project) OR assist the installation teams with the laying out of the softscape;
- If not physically completing the installation, must conduct site visits during all phases of a landscape’s development and provide guidance to the landscape installation team to ensure a successful softscape installation;
- Interview landscape maintenance companies and manage them through the first 2 months post construction.
- 5+ years of field experience working as an on-site Horticulturist OR Landscape Designer with a focus on residential planting design;
- A diploma or degree in Horticulture, Botany, Landscape Design or Landscape Architecture;
- A communicative, affable personality, and the ability to confidently lead meetings with the client or contractor;
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License;
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex projects at the same time;
- Strong communication, a positive attitude, and leadership skills;
- Excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills;
- A strong ability to read design plans;
- Skilled at operating a computer and an understanding of Vectorworks.
- Compensation will be competitive and based upon the experience and abilities of the successful candidate. An extended medical benefits plan will be provided.
Please say hello and send relevant information to [email protected]
Thank you for considering Donohoe Design for the future of your career. We look forward to hearing from you!