McElhanney has an exciting opportunity for a Landscape Architect at the junior or intermediate level to join our growing Land Development team based in Surrey, BC. Reporting directly to our Division Manager and in collaboration with Landscape Architecture team members, engineers, environmental specialists, and arborists, you will be responsible for providing landscape architecture services in a timely and cost-effective manner to meet client, contractual and company requirements. You will use theoretical and practical knowledge to identify challenges and implement recommended solutions and will also be responsible for analyzing the market to make recommendations on project opportunities and the development of new business.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary and landscape architecture staff across McElhanney throughout project life-cycles with adherence to McElhanney’s Quality Management System policy and procedures.
- Support delivery of site planning, concept development, detail design, cost estimating, contract document preparation, and presentation drawings/renderings.
- Collaborate with project managers and senior Landscape Architects to provide tender and contract administration services including frequent inspections/site meetings and construction management.
- Support multi-disciplinary practices across our western Canadian branches.
- Communicate with clients, colleagues, and approving agencies regarding projects, including filing correspondence and deliverables in established folder/file structures.
- Investigate design and construction conflicts, discuss solutions with senior Landscape Architects and provide support to implement solutions.
- Comply with all company policies regarding health and safety as well as WCB regulations.
What You’ll Bring
- Degree or Diploma in Landscape Architecture and/or LAT from an accredited program
- A minimum of two years of related work experience, recent graduates with work experience gained during their education will be considered.
- Experience in private or public practice is strongly preferred.
- Registered, or ability to register, as a Landscape Architect with BCSLA preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, Bluebeam Revu, and AutoCAD
- Experience with Civil 3D, Sketchup, Adobe Creative Suite, and other graphics/rendering software programs are considered assets
- Enthusiastic personality with the ability to work as part of a team, and a passion for finding creative, sustainable and technically sound design solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate and communicate verbally, graphically, and in writing with various professional disciplines in a timely, responsive manner
- Understanding of project management, design development and contract and proposal preparation
- Ability to stay organized and work effectively in a very busy and fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of native and horticultural plants used in British Columbia is considered an asset
- Flexibility to operate in a virtual workplace environment with ability to work in within other offices in BC.
What Can We Offer You?
- Competitive salary and great benefits, including extended health/dental coverage and RRSP matching
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families
- A collaborative, multi-disciplinary culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth
- Opportunity to become a shareholder in an employee-owned company
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.