The City of Delta is continually growing and looking for ways to improve and add to our parks and public spaces so we can meet or exceed the lifestyle needs of our citizens. We are looking for a talented and industrious Landscape Architect to fill the role of Parks Planner. This position plays a major role in realizing the City's vision for a range of parks projects and initiatives. This position is responsible for contributing to the Parks master plan, developing parks concepts, conducting public meetings, creating drawings, retaining contractors, and monitoring parks planning projects as they proceed.
Examples of Work
- Develops conceptual plans and prepares or oversees the preparation of detailed designs for specific park development and redevelopment proposals; prepares project elements such as terms of reference, work plans, cost estimates, graphic components, and tender drawings & specifications; prepares and monitors budgets for specific projects; prepares and maintains project status reports, as required.
- Prepares long term proposals and amends plans and strategies on approval; reviews plans and strategies with committees and community groups to solicit feedback for refinement of plans and strategies, researches and investigates program elements, develops conceptual designs and strategies for municipal lands.
- Prepares reports and recommendations to Parks, Recreation & Cultural Commission and Council or other advisory bodies on park planning issues.
- Coordinates the implementation of park development or redevelopment projects with other municipal staff; monitors and oversees the progress of approved projects, including scheduling; clarifies plans and specifications for construction personnel.
- Organizes and conducts public meetings regarding park and development proposals; oversees production and distribution of all public notices, graphics and related material; answers questions on proposed designs; gathers feedback and amends plans within established guidelines.
- May supervise the work of one or more technical subordinates; assigns, checks and reviews work.
- Participates in hiring as required; provides direction to corporate staff on graphic standards and design of corporate materials, as required.
- Maintains liaison with a variety of internal and external departments on matters related to the work; represents the department to a wide range of groups on matters related to park development and related land use issues.
- Recommends selection of and oversees the work of consultants engaged in design work.
- Performs related work as required.
The City of Delta provides a competitive salary of $43.90 - $51.87 per hour (commensurate with experience) and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition number #20-103 EX by December 4, 2020.
Successful candidates must have a valid certification in Landscape Architecture from an accredited institution and a minimum 5 years of experience in a similar role. A valid Class 5 BC driver's licence and registration with the BC Society of Landscape Architects is also required. Preferred candidates will have experience using PowerCAD for Mac, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Suite (including Illustrator), and should be proficient in MS Office.
The successful candidate will have a thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and techniques of landscape architecture as well as construction methods and materials and of horticultural techniques and practices. The incumbent must be able to develop conceptual plans and prepare detailed information for park developments, and organize/conduct public meetings, prepare presentations, and collect public input. The ability to present reports, monitor budgets, coordinate project implementation with staff, oversee consultants, and read/interpret architectural and engineering plans is a must.