DIALOG Calgary is in search of a design-focused individual with a passion for creating spaces in the public realm. You will join our process-oriented, collaborative team, working with us on a wide range of planning, urban design, and landscape architecture projects, tackling all aspects of the design process. As a valued team member, you will have an opportunity to play diverse roles, collaborate across disciplines, direct the development of your professional skills and expertise, and contribute to the growth of our dynamic and passionate Planning | Landscape Architecture | Urbanism team.
Our Planning | Landscape Architecture | Urbanism team is 40 members strong across Canada, working on a wide range of projects, large and small, throughout North America. Our work includes design for urban vibrancy, health and wellness, multi-modal transportation, arts and culture, retail and commercial, residential, education and research. In all cases, our specialty and spirit are founded on unique collaborations for projects, clients, and communities. What you will find here is passion without pretense, people who are committed to building a brighter future for the communities we serve.
While this position is with DIALOG’s Calgary studio, where we are currently working on several high-profile and transformative projects in the Calgary region, you will also work on projects across Canada as part of the broader National team. If you want to have a positive influence on the urban character of Calgary and meaningfully shaping our city – and beyond – then this is the place for you!
Why this role is important:
At DIALOG, we believe that design can, and should, meaningfully improve the wellbeing of our communities and the environment we all share. Our Planning | Landscape Architecture | Urbanism team is committed to delivering sustainability and excellence in design along with exceptional client service, in a fun working environment.
Once here, you will:
- Work on a wide range of projects that serve the communities we love
- Have opportunities to share your passion for public realm design and landscape architecture with interdisciplinary teams
- Collaborate with Clients to realize their visions and exceed their expectations
- Reinforce our commitment to excellence through all design phases
- Scheduling – internal team meetings, client meetings, engagement events, peer review sessions
- Attending – integrated design meetings, client meetings, site meetings, studio design pin-ups, professional development sessions
- Facilitating – coordination meetings, design charrettes, stakeholder or public engagement events
- Writing – reports, proposals, design narratives
- Designing – sketching, modeling, testing, reviewing
- Research – precedents, materials, construction means + methods, cultural and historical, ecological, sustainability
- Modeling – for concept development, iterating, for visualizations, for production and documentation
- Participating – in design charrettes, workshops, team meetings, professional development and training opportunities, business development and strategic planning
- Mentoring – each other, at all levels
- Presenting – informal, formal, for client groups, for public or stakeholder engagement events
- Managing – clients, production teams, subconsultants, schedules and deliverables, team initiatives, project resourcing and budgets
- Visualizing – analysis, design intent and design solutions
- Producing – construction documentation, including drawing packages and specifications, feasibility studies, planning documents, design reports
- Communication - clearly articulate the process, approach, and impact of your design in verbal and visual presentation
- You likely have an educational background in design, which may include one or more of the following: a technical diploma in Landscape Architecture or Architecture, an undergraduate degree in Landscape Architecture or Environmental Design, a post-graduate degree in Landscape Architecture or Architecture
- You are either proficient in, or have an aptitude for developing a proficiency in: Revit, Rhino, Civil 3D, AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, and Illustrator, ArcGIS
- You may have experience in: project management | proposal preparation | construction and/or construction management experience | report writing and development | site inventory and analysis | graphic design and illustration | public and stakeholder engagement | approvals and permitting processes
- You may have professional experience in the following areas of practice: master planning and community planning | urban design | park and open space design | site-specific landscape architecture | transit-oriented design | environmental graphic design, wayfinding, interpretive design | integrated public art | indigenous engagement, planning, and design
- Your strengths are varied, and may include a unique combination of the following: technical design and detailing | specifications | construction administration | visualizations – analog and digital, 2D and 3D | graphic design | writing – technical and narrative | planting design | concept design | storytelling | green infrastructure and sustainability | landform and grading | team coordination and management | formal presentation