CLOSING DATE: 13 January, 2021
START DATE: 1 March, 2021
APPLICATIONS: Submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, references, and a portfolio via email to [email protected], stating “Application: Senior Urban Designer” in the subject line.
REMUNERATION: $48 - $56/hourly* plus full benefits and bonusing.
*reflective of group success and individual performance targets; negotiable based on experience.
HOURS: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week. Flexible working hours offered. Additional hours and/or work outside of regular working hours may be required.
LOCATION: Downtown Vancouver, BC. Travel outside of Vancouver may be required. Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, all staff are currently being supported to work from home.
MODUS is a mission-driven planning, design and engagement firm based in Vancouver, BC. Our small and powerful team is working on some of the Vancouver region’s most challenging and exciting projects. We primarily work with municipal, development and non-profit clients across Western Canada to deliver urban design, neighbourhood to regional scale community planning, and public and stakeholder communications and engagement consulting services.
We believe in:
- Innovating to provide effective solutions to global and local challenges and issues.
- Building capacity with clients and communities through genuine, meaningful collaboration.
- Having fun while we’re at it!
We’re passionate about having a collective impact on the world, making it a better place to live today and in the future. We also contribute positively to the generational challenge of sustainability by focusing on the places where people live and how they live.
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY
You will be required to act independently and make decisions using your discretion. As a senior staff member, your role may include managing project budgets, ensuring that company policies are followed by junior staff under your supervision, and authorizing overtime if appropriate.
In this position, you will work independently and with other staff to:
- Lead and manage Urban Design & Planning projects (e.g. multi-disciplinary planning and design teams including MODUS staff and/or subconsultants) in a range of sectors (private sector, non-profit, government, etc.);
- Lead, and participate in design charrettes, including: public presentations; key stakeholder and public engagement; and hand sketching and graphic facilitation;
- Lead the development of community/neighbourhood plans, policies and guidelines;
- Lead the development of master plans and site plans/parcel studies, including conceptual architecture and public realm design;
- Lead the preparation of development applications (OCP & zoning amendment applications);
- Effectively communicate innovative, inspiring ideas about urban design;
- Actively support business development through proposal writing, networking and other means;
- Contribute to thought leadership at MODUS, including creative and big-picture thinking on planning, design and engagement;
- This role may also require other related duties in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of the job.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in an applicable field.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 8-10+ years’ professional experience in architecture/urban design, including experience in a consulting environment, experience working in a range of fields/sectors/topics, and at least two years’ experience with project management.
- A strong design sense and capability, including urban and graphic design.
- Design facilitation skills including leading charrette processes and outcomes.
- Strong organizational and project management capabilities, including experience managing or co-managing large multi-disciplinary teams and organizing workflows for multiple projects.
- Expertise in document creation and coordination using Adobe Creative Suite applications, in particular InDesign and Illustrator.
- Experience preparing proposals and promotional presentations
- Creative, curious, problem-solving, and collaborative attitude and working style.
- Well-organized with strong ability to prioritize assignments and manage workload proactively. Must be able to independently problem-solve, learn, and be solutions-focused.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to exercise judgement at all times.
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Emotional intelligence: tactful communication style and active listening skills.
- Project management training.
- Advanced skills in graphic design, graphic facilitation and hand rendering.
- Advanced skills in public and stakeholder engagement and facilitation.
- Strong ability in digital design/modelling software (e.g. Vector Works, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Rhino, and GIS.)
- Diverse life experience including working with diverse groups and cultures
MODUS knows that diverse teams are strong teams. We welcome people from all identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the college-educated, and people of a variety of backgrounds, ages, and identities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, although Canadians and Permanent Residents will be given priority.