Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s School of Horticulture is offering the Professional Pest Management (PPM) Module 1 from Nov. 23 to 25, 2023. This course is designed to provide up-to-date training in the technical aspects of pest management, quality assurance, and customer care to upgrade your professional industry development or meet continuing education (CE) credit requirements.
Taught by Dr. Cameron Lait, respected entomologist and instructor in KPU's School of Horticulture, this course will cover:
- Basic insect biology
- Survey of important structural pest orders and families
- Pest behaviour
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) philosophy and practices
- Basic pesticide chemistry, safety and regulations
- Professionalism and safety protocols at the worksite
Participants who successfully complete the course will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Identify key morphological features of arthropods
- Understand basic insect biology
- Understand integrated pest management principles
- Recognize insect behavior as related to structural pest management
- Manipulate live or preserved specimens without damage
- Identify arthropods from live or preserved specimens to Order or Family using a range of resources and keys
- Recognize the hazards associated with the use of chemical pesticides
This three-day course (18 hours in total) can be taken online or in person OR as a combination of in person and online. In-person classes will take place at KPU’s Langley campus.
For online classes, students will need access to a computer with a microphone and web cam, as well as high speed internet to participate in classes.
Participants who successfully complete PPM Module 1 will:
- Receive a certificate of completion from KPU; and
- Can apply for 5 credits towards their pest applicator license recertification through the Structural Pest Management Association of BC (SPMABC) and members of the British Columbia Society of Landscape Architects (BCSLA) can apply for 6 CE credits.
INSTRUCTOR: Cameron Lait, PhD (Major Plant Biochemistry & Physiology)
DATES: Feb. 23, 24 & 25, 2023 (Th, Fr, Sa)
TIME: 9:00 am-3:30 pm
TUITION: $375 (plus GST)
LOCATION: Online or In Person at the KPU Langley Campus