1. LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURAL REGISTRATION EXAMS INFORMATION
The Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE) is a four-part fully computerized examination designed to determine whether applicants for landscape architectural licensure possess sufficient knowledge, skills and abilities to provide landscape architectural services without endangering the health, safety and welfare of the public. It is prepared and scored by the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB) in accordance with all current standards for fairness and quality of licensure exams.
If you have an LAAC or LAAB accredited degree in landscape architecture and wish to become initially licensed in BC, you may begin the exam registration process. If you do not have an accredited degree, you will need to obtain approval before beginning the exam process. All BCSLA Interns are issued a CLARB Candidate ID number upon acceptance of their BCSLA Intern application. Use this information to create an active CLARB Council Record in order to register for the LARE (fees in US funds apply).
For all sections of the LARE, CLARB establishes the deadlines for completion of the online application. Candidates may check these deadlines on the CLARB website. We strongly recommend that candidates apply for the LARE as soon as possible in order to make test center reservations (fees in US funds apply). There are very few BC test centers with a limited number of seats that are filled on a first come, first served basis. CLARB partners with PSI to administer the LARE. You may take any section of the LARE in any PSI Test Centre that offers the LARE regardless of where you wish to become initially licensed. After you register for the LARE, CLARB will send you an email with instructions about how to select your test center and schedule your exam appointment.
CLARB offers remote proctor program options for all four LARE Sections if your computer is compatible with online proctoring software. Candidates are able to register and write the exam from home, any time day or night, using their own computer. A remote proctor will monitor the exam live through a video feed using advanced security protocols. All four exams are available at all test centres.
LARE Alerts: Exciting changes to the LARE announced on January 10, 2022 Click below to view the webcasts.
- Informational webcast- Recording
- Questions/answers only- Recording
- CLARB's Demo Exam to practice the updated exam functionality
2. CLARB offers a number of resources—many of which are FREE—to help candidates better understand the content, format and delivery for each section of the Landscape Architect Registration Exam. These resources are not intended to teach or be educational tools; they are designed to help candidates develop realistic expectations for the exam experience. Click here to view the resources. You will find YouTube videos, links to practice exams, LARE Orientation Guide and other resources. We also recommend that you participate in LARE Workshops or form study groups to assist you in preparing for the LARE. Watch the videos.
3. LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURAL REGISTRATION EXAMS SAMPLE QUESTIONS
CLARB has provided sample questions to help LARE candidates prepare for the exams. These were created to provide a sample of what candidates will experience when they take the LARE. Select the links below to begin your study strategy
Practice E1 | Solution A | Solution B
Practice E2 | Solution A | Solution B
Practice E3 | Solution A | Solution B
Practice E4 | Solution A | Solution B
Practice E5 | Solution A | Solution B
Practice E6 | Solution A | Solution B
4. Sample Questions
CLARB leadership, in conjunction with Adrienne Cadle, Senior Psychometrician, Professional Testing Inc. led a session for Member Board Members and Member Board Executives in 2018. The informative workshop utilized newly released examination questions that were asked to delegates. CLARB has released the sample questions and answers. Please see below:
6. LARE Prep Workshops
The OALA, AALA and BCSLA co-host free webinars to go over LARE prep strategies and answer questions. Watch this space for details on the next session. Below are resources from previous workshops:
- Recording of June 18, 2022 Study Group Webinar
(with Jenny Trinh and Layal Bitar OALA Associate Representatives)
- Recording of February 12, 2022 Study Group Webinar
(with Chen Zixiang and Jenny Trinh, OALA Associate Representatives & Lauren Rossnan, CLARB)
- Recording of July 17, 2021 Webinar - LARE Section 4 - Review Session
(with John Musil, MBCSLA and Sarah Thomas, BCSLA Intern/Associate Rep.)
Recording of July 25, 2020 Webinar
(with Leah Lanteigne and Chen Zixiang, OALA Associate Representatives)
Recording of March 2020 Webinar
(hosted by OALA Associate Reps covering general information on the LARE and Q&A)
Recording of July 2019 Webinar
(hosted by OALA Associate Reps covering structure of each section and study tips)
Recording of March 2019 Webinar
(with Emily Parker from CLARB)