CIVIL DESIGNER – Kelowna
VDZ+A has recently expanded the reach of our firm to the Okanagan, one of Canada’s fastest growing regions. This expansion, along with our established offices in Vancouver and Fort Langley, will allow us to support a growing client list with projects spanning BC and Western Canada.
We have an exciting opening at our Kelowna studio for a Civil Designer. This role would make you the first full time staff in our Civil Department in our Kelowna office! You would still work under the supervision of our lead Professional Engineer in the Vancouver office as well as the lead Landscape Architect in the Kelowna office. Your work would be focused on Okanagan work and would be supplemented by Lower Mainland based work. The successful applicant’s role would require an understanding of site servicing and grading. AutoCAD Civil 3D skills are essential as you will be expected to provide plan profiles for sewer and water mains, cross-sections for roadworks and model 3D surfaces for site grading. Field work is a part of every well-rounded designer’s career – we want to get you to site as well.
WHO ARE WE?
VDZ+A is the Lower Mainland’s first landscape led civil engineering firm. This means our civil engineering design team focuses on the end user experience in addition to providing competent engineering. Our civil engineering department works closely with our landscape architecture and urban forestry teams to develop engineering plans that integrate seamlessly with the surrounding landscape. The incorporation of our three departments also allows our staff to pursue more green infrastructure approaches to stormwater management including further integration of bio-swales, detention/retention systems, and infiltration designs. The work completed within the department is more than just providing service connections and standard road cross-sections to local developments (although we do that too!) – be prepared to work on sports fields, splash parks, playgrounds, community centres, and schools!
- Prepare detailed design drawings for land development, municipal engineering projects, and public facilities.
- Preparing road design and final grading for urban residential development projects.
- Stormwater management, site grading, sanitary sewer and water distribution system design for subdivision and land development engineering projects as well as many types of public facilities.
- Interpret topographic information required for design.
- Perform site and lot grading.
- Prepare contract documents for project tendering and execute project design drawings.
- Complete field reviews of civil design elements.
- Prepare site grading, servicing, erosion/sediment control plans, details, and notes in AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Prepare Functional Servicing and Stormwater Management Reports in support of zoning by-law amendment and site plan application.
- Coordinate design with consultant team including but not limited to architect, landscape architect, mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, traffic consultant, hydrogeologist, and geotechnical engineer.
- Someone with 3 or more years of experience in civil engineering design and contract administration.
- Degree or Diploma from a minimum 2-year Civil Engineering Program.
- Registration or eligibility to register as a with EGBC (EIT or P. Eng) or ASTTBC.
- Personable and able to communicate internally and externally; and
- Interested in working in an inter-disciplinary, small team environment.
- Application of municipal engineering design criteria and drawing preparation standards for individual communities, particularly subdivision & development control bylaws.
- Application of relevant sections of the BC Building Code as it relates to the design of municipal engineering infrastructure on private property.
- AutoCAD Civil 3D, specifically in relation to compiling plan profiles of roadworks and pipe networks, generating road cross-sections, creating TIN surfaces for site grading and cut / fill analysis.
- All aspects of the detailed design of municipal infrastructure for either public or private sector clients.
- Technical design issues, constructability, cost, and design approvals.
REWARDS OF WORKING AT VDZ
- Competitive salary ranging from $32-36/hour commensurate with experience.
- Regular salary reviews
- Group benefits (including dental and extended coverage)
- Group Retirement RRSP plan
- Future option to relocate to one of our other offices.
- Work on diverse projects
- Work within a small team and receive mentorship and development; and
- Relaxed dress code and atmosphere.
- Opportunity to join our WorkSmart program that provides staff the chance to work both in the office and remotely.