Requisition ID: 39609
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Landscape Architect I independently performs activities required to lead a range of park delivery projects including large and complex projects, and will be responsible for the implementation of new parks, park renewals, and park infrastructure upgrades. The successful candidate will work independently and within teams, and be relied upon to carry out design and construction implementation and considerable coordination between professional disciplines, other city departments, as well as operations staff and public stakeholder groups. This position will be responsible for the oversight of the preparation of conceptual plans, detailed designs, graphic presentations, schedules and financials for assigned projects.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will work independently and be relied upon to carry out design and construction implementation and considerable coordination between professional disciplines, other city departments, as well as operations staff and public stakeholder groups. These positions will be responsible for the oversight of the preparation of conceptual plans, detailed designs, graphic presentations and preliminary financial and time budgets for assigned projects. The candidate also will be responsible for project management of specific projects.
Education and Experience:
- A Master or Bachelor degree of Landscape Architecture or related profession with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in landscape design in the park and recreational field or related public service background is required, along with demonstrated experience in park project managing including chairing public processes.
- 5-8 years experience leading, facilitating or supporting the design, detailing and implementation of projects in the public realm are preferred.
- Eligibility for registration as a Professional Landscape Architect in the Province of British Columbia is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of governmental, legal and financial procedures for municipal development and of the City bylaws relative to development activities is required, along with experience managing the work of professional consultants.
- Considerable knowledge of landscape construction methods, materials, tools and equipment is a prerequisite, in addition to knowledge of construction tendering and contract administration.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to work in a fast paced environment as part of a team, and able to manage competing pressures and priorities to meet prescribed deadlines in a dynamic environment.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2023
Number of Positions: 4
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $47.57 to $56.25 per hour
Application Close: October 1, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.