Murdoch de Greeff Inc. is seeking a landscape architect/designer with 1 to 5 years of experience to join our Victoria team. MDI specializes in natural system and integrated design solutions. We work on projects ranging from hospitals and schools to affordable housing and park and trail planning and design. MDI strives to create engaging and beautiful landscapes that fit site context, and reestablish the natural process impacted by past development practices. Recent examples include building a new stream to create salmon habitat, site planning to preserve and enhance wetlands at a hospital and designing rainwater management systems at the first Salmon Safe certified project on the Island. Our goal is to work with and enhance the land and landscape processes to help build resilient communities. We are passionate about restorative urban design. Please send us your resume if you would like to be part of our growing team.
Our office has a diverse background that includes LA.s’, urban designers, professional biologists, and planners. Our projects provide a variety of planning and design areas for employees to explore. Because we are a small office, you will get the opportunity to work on a wide range of tasks and are expected to take on leadership roles commensurate with your abilities and experience. The ideal candidate will have a BLA or MLA degree and is a creative, organized, and self-motivated individual. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of the design and construction process in an open studio environment. We offer a casual work environment, competitive wages, full benefits, and flexible hours. We encourage in-office work for mentoring and collaboration, while providing flexibility for remote work as needed to help our employees lead a balanced life. We are moving into a spacious new office studio in mid-January with easy access to the Galloping Goose bike trails. Getting to work couldn’t be easier! MDI also offers a green transportation bonus.
What you’ll do:
Depending on your specific skills and interest, you will:
- Manage small to mid-scale projects and be a design collaborator on larger projects.
- Coordinate with allied professionals.
- Carry out field reviews, construction documentation, and administer contracts.
- Design within budgets and client expectations, and push the envelope with creative solutions when the moment is right.
- Develop construction details and assist in the production of specifications.
- Work with and mentor junior design team members to facilitate quality workflow and learning.
Application: Please submit your resume and examples of design/graphic work for consideration via email below.
Start Date: Immediately but willing to wait for the right candidate.
BLA or MLA degree
Our office is always learning and improving. We are looking for someone who can bring some of these skills, and who is interested in continued growth in these areas:
- Strong urban design skills (we know how to integrate rainwater into urban settings-we are looking for an urban designer that wants to take their designs to a more sustainable level).
- Excellent planting design and/or construction detailing.
- Grading and drainage problem solving.
- Proven computer experience (Vectorworks preferred, Office, Creative Suites, Sketchup).
- Excellent multi-tasking skills and self-motivated.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Free hand drawing/sketching skills an asset.
- Strong knowledge of plants and planting design would be an asset.
- Good communication skills-able to collaborate with clients, team members and contractors.
- A person that likes to have fun, set high standards, and complete satisfying projects.