You’re an artist with a strong desire to better your surroundings. You can see a landscape before it exists and you love the process of bringing it to life. You’re collaborative, but need time to think, plan, and dream. You find yourself imagining a better way to walk down the streets you frequent every day. You imagine how you’d change a streetscape for walkers, you see unused open space that could—with thoughtful design—house pop-up art exhibits or events. You know that change is possible through determination and team work. With intuition and strategic thinking, you prioritize competing demands and lead your team to deliver on time.
Binnie is looking for a Landscape Architect to join our Landscape Architecture, Sports & Recreation (LASR) Division full-time in our Burnaby office, located near scenic Deer Lake. Our LASR Division is a leader in providing planning, design and construction administration services for public open spaces, and outdoor sports & recreation facilities for Municipalities, School Districts and others throughout Western Canada.
You will work with an accomplished team on high-visibility projects, including landscape architecture for parks and recreation, boulevard streetscaping, public open space master planning, and land development projects. You will also lead a wide variety of sports facility projects including synthetic and natural turf sports fields, running tracks and sports courts.
Working directly with clients, you will provide planning, direction, and reporting for projects to ensure we meet their needs. You will participate in the design process, engaging with the rest of Binnie’s Design Studio to develop sound technical solutions with creative flare. You will utilize your landscape design skills, and strong background in horticulture, and understanding of the design process, from planning through to project construction.
- Acting as the key contact on projects working with clients, stakeholders, consultants, contractors and support staff
- Preparing proposals in coordination with our Proposal Team
- Leading the complete landscape design process on a project basis
- Preparing schematic, conceptual and detailed design drawings using AutoCAD and Civil 3D with associated cost estimates, as well as design and planning stage reports
- Attending client meetings and periodic public consultation events during evenings and weekends
- Collaborating with other members of Binnie’s multi-disciplinary team including Civil Engineers, Surveyors and Project Managers
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 5 to 10 years of progressive experience in landscape architecture for land development, public open space, and parks and recreation projects
- Registration as a Professional Landscape Architect or eligible for registration with BCSLA
- Valid Driver’s License and personal vehicle preferred
- Ability to independently lead and deliver full landscape architecture services on multiple complex projects
- Ability to prepare and convey full landscape production drawings and specifications
- Strong AutoCAD skills
- Strong written and graphic communication skills, specifically with Adobe CS, Sketch Up, as well as good hand graphic abilities
- Understanding of construction detailing, specifications and construction processes
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
We are the people behind the infrastructure you use every day. We’re small enough to know each other’s names, and big enough to be where we’re needed. As an employee-owned firm and one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, we take pride in our work and are respected as one of the top engineering firms in British Columbia. We support some of the most important infrastructure in the province and beyond. From the Pan Am Games, to the MRC Sports Complex, to the Spirit Trail, our LASR team has delivered projects that are enjoyed by athletes and communities across BC, and beyond.
We’re looking for professionals who want to build careers and communities that last. We can’t do it without you.
People come first. We support you with the education, mentoring, and growth opportunities you need to build an interesting career. As an employee-owned firm, we create a clear internal growth path that can keep up with even the most ambitious professionals. Whether it’s soccer or coffee clubs, hockey pool, lunchtime yoga, Movember or Bowling for Big Brothers, everyone can get involved in their own way.
Interested in this job?
Let us know why you want to work at Binnie, and why you would be a fit as our next Landscape Architect. Submit your application at https://binnie.com/careers/
Thank you for your interest in Binnie. We look forward to reviewing your application.