Are you fascinated by the built environment? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable? Would you enjoy working on a variety of projects with unique challenges and requirements in communities across North America? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Transportation Designer in Edmonton, AB.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 175+ engineering, design, and planning professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate across disciplines with colleagues on transformative projects throughout the Edmonton Region, Alberta, Western Canada, and across North America.
As a designer, the things you design will get built! You’ll use state of the art tools and practices to help create sustainable multimodal transportation infrastructure. You’ll work with your colleagues to engage communities, develop concepts, produce quick-build schematic-level construction documents, design Complete Streets and Vision Zero safety projects, and assist with the implementation of multimodal projects that range from small improvements to full-scale street reconfigurations. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of designing and implementing real solutions.
Toole Design is committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We are proud of the fact that over 50% of our managers are women or people of colour. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
About our Edmonton team:
Toole Design Group’s Edmonton office is downtown and near multiple LRT stations and bus routes and is conveniently located along the Downtown Bike Network. Our office location supports sustainable commuting by our staff. We are short walking distances to our clients, services, restaurants, and parks as well as the River Valley. Our Edmonton team is known for its collaborative engineers, planners, and landscape architectural technologists who are committed to a culture of innovation, excellence, and having fun while we help communities transform.
You’ll be great here if:
• You are passionate about urban and multimodal transportation design
• You are energized by re-imagining cities, street design, green spaces, and the public realm
• You want to develop and implement projects that will have an immediate impact on communities
• You enjoy building meaningful relationships across disciplines and between offices
• You deliver high-quality work on time and within budget
• You know how to get the message across, whether written, verbally, or graphically
• You are detail oriented and have strong organizational skills
• You’re motivated to tackle new challenges and develop creative solutions
We’ll offer you:
• The chance to design and implement transportation projects that positively and directly affect neighbourhoods around Edmonton and communities across North America
• An environment that fosters innovative, thoughtful, internationally-aligned, and research-based best design practices
• The potential to grow as a professional and advance in a company that prefers to promote from within
• Competitive salary and benefits
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
• A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in civil/transportation engineering, urban design, landscape architecture, or related field or a Diploma in civil engineering technology, landscape architectural technology, or related field
• Entry to intermediate level of transportation design experience, with a demonstrated interest in developing design and construction documents
• Experience with Computer Automated Design software (AutoCAD and/or MicroStation)
• Experience with graphics software (Adobe Illustrator, SketchUp, etc.)
• Interest in multimodal transportation issues and design (specifically for bicycle, pedestrian, Safe Routes to School, Complete Streets, Vision Zero, and/or transit integration)
• Excellent task and time management skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
Additional desired qualities include:
• A broad knowledge base in street design and urban multimodal planning
• Specific knowledge of roadway geometric design or streetscape design
• Familiarity with design software (Civil 3D, GEOPAK, or InRoads)
• Experience with bicycle, pedestrian, transit, and Safe Routes to School issues
• Familiarity with traffic modeling software (such as Synchro)
• Ability developing compelling graphics in both 2D and 3D using Sketchup and the Adobe Creative suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click "Apply for this Job" below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/careers and select the corresponding position. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).