Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than February 29, 2024)
Department: Parks & Environment
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: Parks West Area
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: PG 28 $3,120.40 - $3,686.63 bi-weekly
Our Parks and Environment Department is seeking a Park Planner I who will lead specialized park planning assignments involving research, zoning, land acquisition and development, landscape architectural design, and general park and recreational planning activities. The position will oversee cultural resource information, biophysical data, and community engagement processes to determine suitable land use, design, site management, and facility requirements within Metro Vancouver Regional Parks.
You are: skilled at leading and working with multi-disciplinary teams on complex projects using land use principles and park design processes. You have considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of landscape architecture and outdoor recreational planning. You are passionate about nature and the environment.
- Performs assignments which involve specialized aspects of park planning such as research, zoning, land acquisition and development, landscape architectural design, or general park and recreational planning activities.
- Prepares Terms of Reference, work programs, and plans. Assigns, supervises and checks the work of consultants and of internal staff assigned to specific projects.
- Co-ordinates information to and from operations, field and property staff. Conducts studies, prepares related reports, and answers enquiries from private and public agencies.
- Gathers and assesses general information, statistics, consulting reports and submissions from private and public agencies on park development, land use proposals, and management of various outdoor recreational facilities.
- Prepares preliminary master site plans and cost estimates for acquisition and development of assigned regional parks and implements approved proposals.
- Consults with and advises a variety of internal and external contacts on park planning, recreation and open space matters.
- Performs related work as required.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by January 21, 2021.
To be successful, you have:
- University graduation in Planning, Landscape Architecture, Environmental Sciences or closely related disciplines. Considerable park planning experience, some supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of landscape architecture or recreational planning or environmental sciences.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and techniques of park planning and of departmental functions, procedures and objectives.
- Sound knowledge of governmental and legal procedures related to park planning and development.
- Ability to establish priorities in park planning programs and assignments and to co-ordinate information to and from operations, field and property staff.
- Ability to perform technical research, to exercise creative skills and the use of sound judgment in planning for park developments and to prepare related reports.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise and check the work of consultants and of staff assigned to special projects.
- Ability to implement park planning proposals following approval of same by superior.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to act in a liaison capacity coordinating the work of special assignment groups and to relate such work to recreation groups and various levels of government.
- Valid British Columbia Driver's License.