Parks Capital Projects Manager (NEW)
Regular Full-time Exempt
We acknowledge with gratitude and respect that the City of Coquitlam is located on the shared, traditional and ancestral lands of the kʷikʷəƛ̓əm, sq̓əc̓iy̓aɁɬ təməxʷ, and other Coast Salish Peoples.
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and multi-modal transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
As a result of growth in the community and increasing parks capital programs, the City has an opportunity for a new Parks Capital Projects Manager to join our team. This position will report to the Manager Parks, and will look after major capital projects in the Parks division. This role includes the opportunity to deliver new park development and major enhancement initiatives while overseeing a small team of CUPE staff that are dedicated to such work. Recent examples of similar projects include the delivery of Sheffield Park and Centennial Artificial Turf Field. This position plays a pivotal role in helping deliver exceptional parks capital projects to the residents of Coquitlam and their families!
The Parks Capital Projects Manager is responsible for performing professional work in developing plans for capital projects and working collaboratively with teammates in the Parks Planning and Design team in anticipation of the City’s development or renewal of parks infrastructure. This position will look forward to setting team priorities that are aligned with City and Departmental priorities as well as develop and implement processes, policies and tools to build high quality parks infrastructure. Overseeing the Parks Capital Projects team will require considerable independent leadership, innovation and judgment and requires a professional with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills. The successful applicant will have the ability to work effectively with other divisions and departments, external consultants, contractors, agencies and stakeholders, including citizen groups and the Coquitlam community. This will include utilizing best practices and monitoring trends to provide expert advice on parks construction.
The successful candidate will have a University degree or post secondary diploma in Landscape Architecture, Engineering, Project Management or a related field. Education should be supplemented with 5 or more years of progressive experience leading capital projects as well as a minimum of 5 years of progressive related management experience, ideally in a unionized environment. Experience within a municipal or regional government as well as project management experience or a PMP designation will be considered an asset.
Other Requirements include:
- Ability to foster a team focused, inclusive, collaborative and creative workplace.
- Experience managing staff teams in a unionized work environment including coaching, mentoring, and probationary and performance reviews.
- Advanced research, analytical and problem solving skills, with an ability to identify improvements for existing parks infrastructure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to negotiate, influence, and liaise effectively with colleagues, members of the public and external agencies including report writing, meeting facilitation and the ability to prepare and present powerful public presentations to the public, City Council and Council Committees.
- Familiarity with public engagement processes and the ability to effectively manage project issues.
- Track record of success in promoting and maintaining a work environment which fosters and rewards teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity and innovation.
- Advanced levels of business acumen and critical thinking skills to identify risks and leverage opportunities when representing the Parks, Recreation and Culture Department on various matters that impact the public.
- Strong financial management skills with the ability to prepare and recommend capital budgets for parks development.
- Experience working within other public sector organizations and external stakeholders will be considered an asset.
- An understanding of the strategic direction of the City.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police information check.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55pm on February 5, 2023.
Good people make Coquitlam great - sign up for career alerts through our recruitment portal to stay up to date about opportunities within our team, or follow us on LinkedIn to learn more about how #YouCouldWorkHere too!
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.