Position: PARKS & TRAILS PLANNER
Division: Parks & Trails
Type: Regular Full Time, CUPE Local 358
Application Deadline: October 12, 2022 by 4:30 pm
Applications: Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at careers-cvrd.icims.com/jobs/1488/parks-%26-trails-planner/job
Competition Number: 22151-E
Majestic mountains, the rugged West Coast Trail, serene lakes, and one of the world’s tallest free-standing timber rail trestles all lie in the picturesque Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD). Located on Vancouver Island, the CVRD provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 80,000 within its 4 distinct municipalities and 9 electoral areas. Just 50 km north of Victoria and 30 km south of Nanaimo, the Cowichan Valley offers a warm climate and numerous parks, recreational, cultural, and social opportunities.
The Cowichan Valley Regional District is now accepting applications for the regular full time Parks & Trails Planner position in the Parks & Trails Division within the Operations Department.
Reporting to the Manager – Parks Planning & Stewardship, the Parks and Trails Planner is responsible for short- and long-range planning activities associated with the acquisition, design, layout, and development of parks and trails, including research, community consultation, landscape design, concept plans, management plans, master plans, and general parks and trails planning. Other duties include reviewing subdivision and rezoning applications as pertaining to parks and trail dedication and community amenity contribution, preparing reports and information for Board-appointed Committees and Advisory Commissions, preparing and holding public open house events and community consultation activities, and assisting with preparation of annual parks and trails budgets.
This position will be working on the regional parks & trails program with a focus on natural areas management, outdoor recreation, and environmental stewardship.
Please visit careers-cvrd.icims.com/jobs/1488/parks-%26-trails-planner/job for a full job description listing all the job requirements.
Hours of Work: Guaranteed 35 hours of work per week, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and eligible for flex time. This position may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings. This position may be eligible for part-time Work From Home consideration.
Salary: Wage rate in 3 steps as per the Collective Agreement between the CVRD and CUPE Local 358, $43.24 - $44.52 - $45.86 per hour (January 1, 2021 rates). Benefits are included as per the CUPE Collective Agreement.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter ONLINE at careers-cvrd.icims.com/jobs/1488/parks-%26-trails-planner/job by 4:30 pm on the date indicated. (Emailed applications will not be accepted.)
Note that testing may be required during the interview process. Testing is based on the knowledge, skills, abilities and qualifications outlined in the job description.
- University graduation in a related field plus a graduate degree in Landscape Architecture, Parks Planning/Management, Land Use Planning, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Planning/Sciences, Community and Regional Planning, or related field
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia (PIBC), Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP), or the BC Society of Landscape Architects (BCSLA)
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License (please include a driver’s abstract with your application)
- A minimum of five (5) years progressive related experience in the field of parks planning and/or landscape architecture; preferably in a regional district or municipal government setting
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered