For more than a decade, Donohoe Living Landscapes has been developing thoughtful, bespoke designs for high-end residences throughout British Columbia.
Donohoe Living Landscapes is looking for our next Landscape Designer/Landscape Architect to lead the Horticulture component of our stunning designs. Your contribution will be producing spectacular planting palettes and designs that go beyond the ordinary. In addition, you will be heavily involved in the installation process, with sourcing and selecting all plant material, inspecting plants upon arrival, and overseeing subcontracted crews during planting.
You will be deeply passionate about horticulture, travel, and have an ecologically sound approach to planting design and installation practices. You have a very high standard for finish and has the foresight and creative vision to “see” a garden years into the future during the design process and on the day of installation. You will be confident to explore new trends, yet have the experience and understanding of the subtleties and restraint required to build an award-winning garden.
Not only do we offer unique projects for you to put your signature design touch on, but we regularly take on special projects that benefit and involve our team in the community. You will play a key role in a quickly growing company.
A typical week:
- Using your abundance of plant knowledge, you will curate planting palettes and designs for our projects across BC and Hawaii;
- Collaborate directly with clients, contractors, and subcontractors to properly communicate design intent;
- Through the Horticulture lens, you will collaborate with our landscape architects and designers on concepts and working drawings;
- Sourcing and selecting plant material at nurseries across the Pacific Northwest that meet the high standard of our projects;
- Assist the landscaping teams with the laying out of the softscape and review their work;
- Interview landscape maintenance companies and manage them through the first 2 months post construction;
- Contribute to our ‘Pro Bono’ projects, currently a Covid-19 memorial garden for a local extended care facility;
- Collaborate with the team to create show gardens and extraordinary installations;
- Continually build upon your plant and design knowledge;
- Bring your enthusiasm for landscape designs that push the boundary of what is expected.
What you’ll bring:
- 3+ years working as a Landscape Designer or Horticulturalist with a focus on residential design, or strong desire to learn all things residential;
- A diploma or degree in Landscape Design or Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, or Garden Design;
- A comprehensive understanding of all plants native and commonly used in the Pacific Northwest;
- A tenacious attitude, with the desire to learn and constantly bring unique and new ideas to the forefront;
- Skilled understanding of CAD (bonus for Vectorworks) and Adobe Design Suite;
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
What we offer:
- A supportive environment with plenty of opportunities to advance your career;
- Work-life balance with flexible hours, 3 weeks holiday to start;
- Competitive wages and an extended benefits package;
- A beautiful, centrally located office and convivial work environment where you are empowered to manage your work as you see fit.
We welcome everyone to apply!
If you're excited about this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We review all applications and still may consider you the right person for the role or have another open position where you’re the perfect fit. For more information, please see our website at: www.donohoelivinglandscapes.com.
Donohoe Living Landscapes is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law. Please let us know if you require any accommodations by emailing: [email protected]